Around the world, evidence suggests that concern over the appearance of one’s teeth has held a measure of importance for some centuries. Some would even say that the first signs of early cosmetic dentistry date back to 7000 B.C. Here are just a few fun facts and trivia about cosmetic dentistry:
- The earliest known dental work dates back to about 9,000 years ago. Researchers found nine adults with holes drilled into their teeth with sharpened flint points and filled with material.
- George Washington’s dentures were not made of wood, contrary to popular belief. He actually owned four pairs of dentures, all of which were made from gold, ivory, lead, and human and animal teeth. In his day common animal teeth used were donkey and horse teeth.
- Until fairly recently, dentures were given as wedding gifts in the British Isles.
- In 1728 the first braces were made in France. They consisted of a flat strip of metal connected to the teeth with pieces of thread.
- A Vermont law states that it is illegal for a woman to wear dentures without her husband’s written permission.
- Tooth whitening concoctions were being sold by dentists as far back as the 1800’s.
- Evidence suggests that some South American tribes began wearing tooth jewelry over one thousand years ago.
- The first practical application of dental implants was in 1965.
- Paul Revere was the first to use dental forensics by using the teeth of a colonel killed in the Battle of Bunker Hill to identify the body.
As you can see, cosmetic dentistry has been around for centuries! To find out what today’s cosmetic dental procedures can do for you, contact your expert cosmetic dentist in Issaquah, Dr. Kelley Fisher of Eastside Comprehensive Dentistry, to set up a consultation. We look forward to hearing from you.